Search This Blog

2012-11-04

The CURSE puzzle 59 Solution: Combination

Here is the solution for THE CURSE, level 59: Combination

You need to scroll 4 columns so that every row add up to 12.
I had to use brute force to crack this one.  If you know of a better technique to crack this one, please comment and advise! (Except by using a computer program, XLS, etc!)


Here is a solution:
Column 1: 4, 3, 5, 1,etc
Column 2: 4, 3, 1, 2, etc
Column 3: 2, 3, 1, 5, etc
Column 4: 2, 3, 5, 4, etc.

Or see screen-print below for the answer!

There you go!  Each row add up to 12.

7 comments:

  1. Pick a number which only occurs once in a single column. Put this in row 1. From this point on, don't change this column. I used 1 in col 4.
    Fill the rest of row 1 with numbers that total up to 12; e.g. 5,5,1,1. Cycle through the combinations until you get to the answer. There are up to 18 combinations you have to go through to get the answer if you use 1 for c4r1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That worked!!!
      Great strategy!!

      Delete
    2. Talk about luck.. I did in 6 moves with this strategy.... I was shocked.

      Delete
  2. lol only needed 2 look at first 2 rows

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the number 5-1 because when there is a 5 it must be a 1 and then I try to put all the 5 in linewith al the 1 it works....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I read it yesterday but I had some thoughts about it and today I wanted to read it again because it is very well written. chess

    ReplyDelete